Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Potential Change of Plan (No, Mom, I've Not Changed My Mind Re: Head Shaving)

I’d planned another post for today, but in light of a very interesting comment I received, I felt we should discuss the following instead:

“Ndever” (awesome handle, BTW) said:

“I did some back reading and noticed that you plan to donate to Locks of Love. The last time I checked, Locks of Love charges the cancer patients for their wigs; so I donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths instead (http://www.pantene.com/en-US/article/our_beautiful_partnerships.jspx) because Pantene provides the wigs FOR FREE to cancer patients. Just in case that makes a difference to you!

And it definitely does make a difference. I did some research and found the following quote on the Locks of Love web site:

Our mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need.

There were some other sites, scathing in their reviews of Locks of Love, but I don’t think that’s either helpful or necessarily true. So we’re going to deal with what we have from each side.

Okay. So, it’s a sliding scale “based on financial need”, which is fairly reasonable. But then we have Pantene Beautiful Lengths, which works with the American Cancer Society and provides the wigs entirely free of charge, from what I’ve seen.

Now, here’s the other part of the discussion: Locks of Love works for children. Pantene Beautiful Lengths is more focused on women. Does that matter?

What do you all think? Should I stick with the original game plan and go with the better known organization with which I started (though made no specific pledge to) or should I go with the group that donates their wigs freely? And has anyone heard anything one way or another on these organizations? Any input would be welcome and appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kari.
    I am a friend and former classmate of Richard and of Leah's and found you through Leah's blog.

    My question to you is this...did you set out to help children or women with cancer? Locks of Love donates to children that suffer from hair loss despite the disease...alopecia, cancer, burn patients...the list goes on. Is the Pantene program strictly for cancer patients? That I am not sure...

    I am a nurse and I have seen how hair loss can effect a patient. Some find it riviting and freeing. My mother-in-law had lung cancer 5 years ago and lost all of her hair to chemo. The wig she received from a company here in Minnesota was her saving grace.

    My husband and his twin brother shaved their heads to be bald with their Mom. Even though her hair has since grown in, my husband and his twin still are bald! They love the low maintanence life of a shaved head. Granted, they are men so the stamina of being bald is not as challenging as being a bald lady.

    I commend you for your strength and your bold choice. I am sure that you will learn a lot about you and the society in which you live.

    I look forward to following you on your journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete