Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Few Ground Rules

Any good experiment has parameters within which it operates. My experiment (though not scientifically sound by any stretch of the imagination) should also have such parameters, rules to govern the shape of the plan. So here's what I've come up with so far:

1) I will not Bic-shave my head - I plan on keeping some fuzz like, as my friend Kittie says, a duckling. This is a matter of laziness and wimpiness. I think by the time I've gone through with the hair cutting and shearing, I will be so traumatized, I won't be able to handle a razor to my head as well. I'll be a quivering mass of emotion, hardly a suitable shaving subject.

2) I will go out and about bald at least once a week. Part of the fun of this is playing around with scarves and wigs and I can see myself falling into a reliance on them. That, however, would partially ruin the purpose of doing this. So, at least one day a week I will spend openly bald and proud.

3) I will blog the good and the bad. I have a tendency to think that if my tone is one way in one post, it should remain consistent in others in order to have a solid "voice". However, that's not how emotion works, particularly not for me. I'm a rainbow mess of feeling with reds and blues and ugly yellows and I need to let that happen for the sake of honesty. Otherwise, there's no point to this.

4) Even on my wig days, if someone asks to see my crazy shaved head, I will oblige no matter how good a wig day it may be or how crappy I may feel about myself.

Ummm . . . I can't really think of anything else. Do you guys have any ideas?

Other news: I asked my doctor today about head shaving making my hair grow back differently. (He already thinks I'm weird, so he hardly blinked at this). He said it's a matter of genetics, so he doesn't see how it would make a difference. He did, however, mention that I should never, ever shave my eyebrows (I didn't even ask about that one!). Evidently doctors have been sued because they've shaved a patient's eyebrow to give stitches or something and the eyebrow never grew back. Sometimes they just don't come back in after having been shaved. Interesting, huh? I spent a few years with three eyebrows after the Unfortunate Nair Incident of '01, but lucky for me, the bare patch came back eventually. In preparation for The Big Day, though, I have been plucking my eyebrows like mad. I mean, really: I can't be baldheaded and have mountain man eyebrows, right?

7 comments:

  1. Oh yea your going to need perfect eyebrows! I'm glad you thought of that and are preparing. whew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule 5) If people want to touch your bald head, they may.

    Also, are you going to continue shaving it? or will you let it grow back right away? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless I find myself absolutely in love with the look, I'll probably just grow it out right away. Plus I have a friend's wedding in October and she's very concerned about the bald bridesmaid issue. :) (Love you, Debra . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Debra could shave to match. (Love you, Bryan. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fuzz is absolutely the best part--you'll find yourself rubbing your head all the time, coz it feels really good, and very soothing.

    ReplyDelete